Alakat Publishing is a B2B trade publisher that currently produces the UK toy industry’s leading monthly trade magazine and news website, plus a website focused on the licensing industry. As we enter peak season for the toy trade, we are looking to expand our editorial team. Check out the job description to see if you think you would be a good fit.
Although we can put down on paper the skill set required, it’s harder to put into words the type of person that will fit well into the company and the toy trade. We want to be able to take basic writing and subbing skills as a given and find someone with enthusiasm for getting their teeth into the toy/licensing industry – perhaps they’ve already worked in it in another role or have been looking for an industry they can really enjoy and feel passionate about (and who doesn’t love toys)? A graduate who has done suitable training, with work experience or involvement in a student publication would be ideal. As a company that operates as a close-knit team, we also need flexibility, reliability and a willingness to learn quickly and adapt to whatever is needed.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a market leading publication and website. As part of the experienced Alakat Publishing team, the right person with the right attitude will be in a strong position to become an expert in the toy market and develop their career.
Our editorial team works from our office in Hemel Hempstead, Herts. Please note our location as this is an office-based position and may not be undertaken on a freelance or remote basis due to the nature of the business. We’re looking for someone to start as soon as possible. The editorial team works from 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- is a full time, hands-on editorial position, involving work in both print and digital environments. A professional standard of writing and subbing is a must, as is an aptitude for online systems and the ability to carry out administrative tasks efficiently.
- We’re looking for a motivated and dynamic applicant, who is keen to get to know the toy trade/associated industries and work closely with the Editor and rest of the team, to produce copy for our daily online newsfeed service as well as short form copy for our print publication, as well as other writing tasks and projects as required.
- Journalistic experience is desirable, and knowledge of the trade press would be an advantage, as would experience of generating written, news-based online content. Support and guidance will be provided by the rest of the team, but we will expect you to learn from hands-on experience. This will be a priority from the start, so some initiative as well as basic competence is expected.
- The role will suit a candidate who has training in print journalism (NCTJ accredited qualification preferred), or relevant concrete experience for a commercial organisation, a natural flair for writing, good communication skills and the ability to work to deadlines.
- We’re looking for a hardworking, confident individual who will take pride in their work and in the company. As well as a high standard of grammatical accuracy and attention to detail, the ability to adapt tone of content to house style is expected. The role will involve liaising with clients, chasing copy, maintaining in house administrative systems, subbing press releases, both creating content from supplied material and generating original content, uploading copy and images to the company’s online platforms, and distributing content across social media. A confident telephone manner and strong interpersonal skills are vital, and knowledge of systems such as WordPress, Mailchimp and Photoshop – or the ability to pick up such systems rapidly – would be an advantage
- The role is office-based, and occasional travel within the UK may be involved to visit clients or attend important events in the trade show calendar, sometimes staying away from home overnight. Every member of our close-knit team is vital, and a sociable nature, enthusiasm, loyalty and flexibility are expected.
Please send CV of no more than two pages and a cover note summarising briefly why you feel you would be a good fit for this vacancy to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application should state clearly where you are currently based, and it will be assumed that you have checked that you are comfortable with the commute. We are happy to answer any questions you may have, prior to or during your application.
This is a full-time, permanent role. Salary is DOE and will be determined after the interview stage but is expected to be in the region of £24-27k.
Please mention the NCTJ when applying for this role.