Assistant Producer – News Planner is an integral role in the newsgathering operations of Sky Sports News. Editorially, you’ll play a key part in shaping the next day’s sports news agenda and work closely with the newsdesk and reporters to produce content for all platforms; whilst logistically, you’ll make sure our camera crews have all the necessary details to deliver our vision to air.
What you’ll do:
- You will be working in a busy planning team, responsible for the planning function of the Sky Sports News (SSN) newsgathering operation on all platforms.
- Working closely with the newsdesk and senior producers, the planning team are responsible for the next day’s news agenda and the planning of big sporting events. You will also assist the newsdesk when breaking news happen.
- You will drive the news agenda by leading daily editorial meetings with senior colleagues.
- You will collaborate with other Sky Sports departments to supplement SSN’s coverage with expert analysis and content as well as to promote Sky Sports events on SSN.
- You will be acting as the link between broadcast operations teams and the newsgathering teams, making sure all necessary information is communicated clearly and accurately to reporters, camera operators and the satellite operations team.
- You will play a crucial role in managing and building relationships with key external stakeholders.
- You will be expected to drive for original journalism, be creative and set up exclusive interviews through your contacts.
- The role will include administrational duties, including accreditation requests.
What you’ll bring:
- Ability to plan and organise content in a fast-paced editorial environment (ideally a sports broadcaster or major news agency).
- A strong news sense and editorial judgement; ability to quickly determine the best stories and picture for our customers.
- Ability to think on your feet and solve problems under time pressure.
- Excellent understanding of journalistic principles and wide-ranging sports knowledge.
- Good understanding of The Ofcom Broadcasting Code
- An effective communicator with an ability to deliver complex issues succinctly.
- An enthusiastic team player with exceptional relationship building skills who drives to learn more about all aspects of the business.
- Awareness of social media/trends and a consumer of digital media
- Ability to work to tight budgets, with a strong focus on value for money
Sky Sports News
We shape sports news, bringing fresh, creative and innovative ways of telling stories to our customers. Our multi-platform approach means we reach a diverse group of customers across a wide range of platforms.
There’s a reason people can’t stop talking about #LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special, here are just a few:
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
- Access a wide range of exclusive Sky VIP rewards and experiences
How you’ll work:
We know the world has changed, and we want to offer our employees the chance to collaborate at our unique office spaces, whilst enjoying the convenience of working from home.
We’ve adopted a hybrid working approach to give more flexibility on where and how we work. You’ll find out more about what this means for this role during the recruitment process.
Your office base:
Our Osterley Campus is a 10-minute walk from Syon Lane train station. Or you can hop on one of our free shuttle buses that run to and from Osterley, Gunnersbury, Ealing Broadway and South Ealing tube stations. There’s also plenty of bike shelters and showers.
On campus, you’ll find 13 subsidised restaurants, cafes, and a Waitrose. You can keep in shape at our subsidised gym, catch the latest shows and movies at our cinema, get your car washed and even get pampered at our beauty salon.
We take pride in our approach to diversity and inclusion: we’ve been recognised by The Times and Stonewall for this, and we’ve committed £30million to support the fight against racial injustice. We’ve also set ambitious targets for increasing ethnic diversity and representation throughout our organisation.
At Sky we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and your potential. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we’re happy to discuss flexible working.
And we’ll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.