Taking on apprentices

A: Apprenticeships can help media companies by offering access to fresh raw talent. Apprenticeships ensure that your workforce has the practical skills and qualifications your organisation needs now and in the future. The mixture of on and off job learning ensures they learn the skills that work best for the company.

By employing an apprentice, companies will have an opportunity to diversify their workforce to help reflect the communities they serve. Employers also have the opportunity to train an apprentice to write for their publication and/or website alongside basic journalism skills. This should lead to increased productivity, improved competitiveness and a committed and competent workforce.

A: From April 2017 the government's apprenticeship funding reforms were introduced. Employers with a pay bill of over £3 million will pay an apprenticeship levy which will support changes to the way apprenticeships are paid for in England. Employers who pay the levy will access a new digital apprenticeship service from May 2017 that allows them to spend available funds on apprenticeship training.

Employers not eligable to pay the levy will not use the digital apprenticeship service to pay for training and assessment until at least 2018. Employers that don't pay the levy will make a 10% contribution to the cost of training and the government will pay the rest (90%).

Employer incentive payments are available for employers which are paid by the government based on certain criteria including: recruiting a 16-18 year old; being a small business with under 50 employees; and on successful completion of the scheme.

Employers also pay their apprentices a salary.

A: Employers must provide an apprentice with an induction into their new role and provide on-the-job training.

Employers must produce an apprenticeship agreement, which is a contract of service between the employer and the apprentice. This agreement is a condition for completing an apprenticeship and without it an apprenticeship certificate cannot be issued.

A: If you are interested in employing an apprentice, talk to your local training provider:

City of Liverpool College

Alice Gregory, 0151 252 4354 email: [email protected]

City of Wolverhampton College

Mike Dixon, 01902 317607, email: [email protected]

Darlington College

Sue Calvert, 01325 503050, email: [email protected]

Harlow College

Lewis Heritage, 01279 868052, email: [email protected]

Highbury College

Paul Foster, 02392 383131, email: [email protected]

Lambeth College

Diane Holden, 020 7501 5496, email: [email protected]

Sheffield College

Tracy Mitchell, 0114 260 2357, email: [email protected]

News Associates, London and Manchester

Rachel Bull, 0870 445 0155, email: [email protected]

Press Association Training, London

Roz McKenzie, 020 7963 7923, email: [email protected]

Brighton Journalist Works Training Ltd

Richard Lindfield, 01273 671685, email: [email protected]

Bauer Academy

Courtnay McLeod, (M) 07974247741, email: [email protected]

For general information, or queries about the qualification, please contact [email protected].