All journalists need to understand the importance of an ethical approach to their work. They also need to have a sound working knowledge of applicable regulations and their interpretation.
This course examines the regulatory landscape for journalists in the UK, with a primary focus on the regulations overseen by the Independent Press Standard Organisation and set out in the Editors’ Code of Practice.
Topics covered include:
- Key differences between broadcast and non-broadcast regulation;
- How IPSO’s complaints system operates;
- The sanctions that journalists can face;
- Unpicking privacy regulations;
- Key case studies and their implications;
- Understanding the public interest.
A session focussed primarily on broadcast regulation is available on request.