Journalism skills for PR
This course is ideal for journalists looking to make the transition into public relations and marketing or for PR executives that would like to build up their journalistic skills. PR is not just about writing press releases, so this course aims to provide a complete picture of the skills and attributes required. It also includes an understanding of modern marketing methods and ‘client’ requirements that are needed to successfully fulfil any role in PR.
Journalists entering or thinking of entering the PR industry or PR practitioners looking to improve their journalistic ability.
· Differences between PR and journalism – attitude and practical applications
· Relevant skills that will transfer from journalism to PR
· New skills needed to function as a successful PR
· Press officers and agency PRs, the major differences and what will suit
· How to be proactive as well as reactive
· How to structure and write press releases – not as straightforward as it would seem as ‘client’ views have to be considered
· Pitching it right – understanding all media options and using other approaches rather than just press releases
· How to plan and run a strategic PR campaign in addition to a press office facility
· Setting up contacts and resources to help open media doors
· How to plan and organise a press conference
· Reviewing changes in the media and understanding web, SMS, viral and blogs
· Monitoring and measuring – essential PR requirements to demonstrate achievement
· Client meeting preparation – who should attend, agendas, activity and contact reports
· Introduction to marketing resources that should be considered as part of the PR mix
Following this course you will understand the essentials of PR and how your journalistic skills can be applied successfully in the new industry.
Duration: A one-day course held at NCTJ, Newport, Essex
Dates: 25 September 2012; 29 January 2013; 7 May 2013
Fee: £375 + VAT
"Really great course. Feel well equipped and more confident in my role in PR." - Susannah Berry, Yorkshire Cancer Research
"The course was very helpful. Everyone got a lot out of the day." - Melanie Roberts, Communicate Recruitment Solutions
Contact us for more information or download the booking form on the right