Seven student journalists receive bursaries
Wednesday 26th August 2009
Seven budding journalists have been awarded bursaries from the Journalism Diversity Fund after impressing a panel of senior industry representatives.
The seven students were selected from 69 people who applied to NCTJ administered fund in June.
They were chosen after they proved their journalistic potential and diversity in their applications and later when interviewed by the panel.
The seven journalism students who received bursaries are:
• Sharanpreet Bajwa, who will be studying a PgDip in Journalism at the Leicester Centre for Journalism at De Montfort University;
• Mark Elliot, who will be studying fast-track newspaper journalism at noSWeat;
• Glenn McMahon, who will be studying fast-track newspaper journalism at Lambeth College;
• Nicola Roots, who will be studying an MA Journalism at Kingston University;
• Carl Rose, who will be studying press photography at The Sheffield College, Norton Centre;
• Paul Smith, who will be studying MA Journalism at the University of Ulster;
• Sam Smith, who will be studying fast-track newspaper journalism at News Associates in London.
Interviews took place at the Guardian on Friday 14th August and the interview panel included Asad Ahmed, BBC London news presenter, Lucy Bulmer, freelance journalist and former editor of Shine magazine, Afua Hirsch of the Guardian and Amar Singh of the London Evening Standard.
The Journalism Diversity Fund will hold its annual celebratory lunch at the Guardian on Thursday 1st October.
The next deadline for bursary applications is Friday 30th October 2009 for courses starting early in the new year.
An application form and further information about the Journalism Diversity Fund can be found at www.journalismdiversityfund.com
• Editors and senior journalists are needed to sit on the panel which interviews applicants to the Journalism Diversity Fund. If you would like to help young people from socially and ethnically diverse backgrounds start a career in journalism please email email@example.com