Advance textbook orders: publication March 2012
McNae's Essential Law for Journalists
Mark Hanna & Mike Dodd
RRP £21.99, NCTJ price £16.99*
McNae's Essential Law for Journalists remains the definitive guide to media law. Now in its 21st edition and featuring a new author team, this acclaimed book has been fully updated and features key point summaries, clear cross-references and practical advice. McNae’s gives both students and journalists a detailed yet accessible explanation of the law and practical guidance on applying it.
- Endorsed by the National Council for the Training of Journalists as the essential text for students on journalism courses
- New case studies and examples on topics including reporting before trial, filming and photographing the public, and press intrusion
- New coverage of broadcast media law in line with the NCTJ syllabus
- Commentary on privacy and the media, including commentary on injunctions and phone-hacking
- New guidance on journalists’ use of social media
- Coverage of online journalism issues such as the impact of online reporting on jurors
- At-a-glance summaries of essential points, including what journalists may report
- Practical tips from the authors on applying the law
Mark Hanna is a senior lecturer in Department of Journalism Studies at the University of Sheffield. He joined it after 18 years in journalism, mostly as a crime or investigations reporter. He chairs the media law examinations board of the National Council for the Training of Journalists and is a member of the NCTJ’s Journalism Qualifications Board.
Mike Dodd is legal editor at the Press Association and has been a working journalist for more than 40 years, having started off as a trainee reporter. He is also a qualified barrister and has written widely on media law issues, particularly court reporting restrictions, which he has successfully challenged many times.
To place your advance order for the 21st edition of McNae’s Essential Law for Journalists, please visit the NCTJ’s online shop
A discount is available for bulk orders of 10 or more copies, please contact Shevon Houston on 01799 544945 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* price excludes postage